So, as many of you know there has been quite a lot of things happening around our home the last few months. These haven't slowed down a bit. I find it funny to think that Tamra spent the last few months of 2008 saying we just needed to wait for things to slow down a bit, just for a little while. HA! My reply was a simple, "Hun, in case you haven't noticed, this is our life. This is the lull. Enjoy it!" Sometimes even I wish I would shut up! 2009 has already been crazy busy, and there is no slow down on the horizon. We have already been on quite the emotional roller coaster, and that too seems to have a few more corkscrews and loopty loops in store. Of course those won't happen until after another steep climb to the top, and a plummeting decent into a whirlwind of speed and excitement, followed by never knowing what is right in front of us, around the next corner. Good times.
I just want to say that without Tamra, none of this would be possible. She has been keeping things together at home. She takes care of our kids, plus 2 more that are very challenging. She has managed to accommodate my very demanding schedule the last few weeks. Together we pulled off a camping trip this weekend, that was more spontaneous than planned.(reminiscent of our first few years of marriage.) It was something that we, as a familym needed and we were going to go no matter what. I realized the first day of the trip that camping stunk! All the first day's work was my job. Setting up. Unloading the vehicle. Setting up the chairs. Etc. The next day I realized that my work was over. Tamra took over with the food, making sure the boys all knew what clothes to wear, making me take the family to the nearby park to play. Then, I really got into it and decided we should all play freeze tag. (None of the kids knew this game...what are they teaching at school these days?) The running around for hours reminded me how badly I need to get back in shape, so Tamra ran right into my eye, literally, in an attempt to give me a black eye. But, I believe she did this to give me an excuse to stop running, and head back to camp to recover without having to fake a cramp. What a great wife!
This weekend was fabulous! The nasty weather we were promised somehow managed to skip by Kansas, and we were thrilled to have mid 60's during the days and low 50's at night. We got to spend three full days as a family. I even left work off my mind for most of the weekend. We are looking forward to warmer days so we can add jet skis to the mix.
What happens when you get away from life for a couple of days? You learn that your oldest boy is growing up too fast, and really is a great kid. You find that he really does appreciate the little things, and is very engaged with his family both immediate and extended. He has always wanted to be the helper, and proved himself by helping dad with the "dad jobs" and mom with the "mom jobs." He also likes to build the plans to keep us all busy, and boy did he. You learn that your youngest boy is truly a gentle spirit. I know I am his dad, but he truly is a nice kid. He plays for the purpose of having fun in the moment, and fully enjoys each moment for all it has to offer. He is the most forgiving child I know, and teaches us just how easy it can be to let go of the bad things that happen and enjoy the fun that is just about to happen. You learn that not every child has a mother and father that actually teach them the important things. You discover that family, as you understand it, is a foreign concept to many. You learn that your spouse is the foundation upon which your own inner strength is built. And, you are reminded that this was all meant to be, and that it is important to take the time to appreciate all you have been given.
Our ties have truly been strengthened this weekend, and we are already planning more trips like these. Watch out, because Kyler is still planning many trips to see each of you. Although I have no idea when those plans will happen, you might just be the destination for the next Smith Family whim.
Our family is tied together forever, and this is a great blessing.
Our Night at the Garda Station 23 April 2010
10 years ago



3 comments:
hey guys, glad i caught this post. send me an email and fill me in on the rest of your life!!
Ray,
Thanks for sharing your heart!
We miss you guys.
Sounds like you guys had a blast!
Post a Comment